Humble Warrior Therapy is a holistic, integrative approach to mental health, emphasizing the inextricable link between mind and body. This mindfulness-based therapy is rooted in philosophies of yoga and Buddhism, which both promote an extremely comprehensive notion of health. When we experience a certain state of mind, our physical body is affected (and vice versa).
So what are the effects of depression on our physical health? How does feeling depressed affect the various systems and functioning of our bodies? Read on to learn about some of the physical health symptoms of depression:
- Decreased cognitive functioning, particularly in terms of memory, decision-making and concentration
- Increased risk of death post heart attack
- Constant feelings of physical fatigue and lack of energy
- Weight fluctuations and digestive problems
- Constricted blood vessels (which, over time, lead to increased risk of heart disease)
- Increased pain sensitivity
- Decreased immune system functioning
- Decreased sex drive
The aforementioned list shows that depression does not live solely in the mind. When our levels of neurotransmitters are off, are entire body detects the imbalance. Because of these physical health symptoms, depression can be misdiagnosed for other health issues, such as hypothyroidism, diabetes and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Your body is incredibly wise, so listen to its indicators and warning signs and know that you were not made to be depressed!